Friday night, Mattie had a really hard time falling asleep. We thought it was from teething so we gave her some medicine. It calmed her down and she fell asleep. By Saturday afternoon, she had three white spots on the tip of her tongue each about the size of a pencil eraser. I immediately freaked out and thought "hand food and mouth" since it has been going around.
We Lysoled everything in sight and I began envisioning that this disease would bounce back and forth between my two girls for the rest of the summer... maybe the rest of their lives!
Okay, that was a bit dramatic, but I've never dealt with this before.
Anyways, she had a hard time falling asleep for her nap and bedtime yesterday too.
I finally decided to turn to Google. Her tongue looked nothing like "hand foot and mouth" so I thought I'd check on "thrush." Her tongue didn't look like that either. So I decided to go generic. Let me just say that looking at pictures of "tongues with white spots" on the internet is disgusting. Don't do it. Ever.
We woke up this morning and I decided to take her to the Convenient Care at our doctor's office just to find out if I really needed to keep Ella away from all the slobber that Mattie was getting everywhere in our house. We got there as it opened and while sitting in the waiting room I discovered that she had gotten two more spots on the inside of her bottom lip.
Diagnosis: canker sores.
After doing some reading, I really think that it's from a food allergy. I don't think that her biting her tongue or lip would cause so many little sores. I've been racking my brain all day trying to figure out what was new that she'd had this week until it hit me. CASHEWS! I gave her some for the first time on Friday evening while I was snacking on some trail mix. She liked them, so I fed her about a dozen. By the next day, she had the three spots on her tongue. Then Matt fed her some more Saturday night and by the next morning, the new sores on her lip had appeared.
I may see about getting her tested. I don't want her to accidentally getting some cashews (or potentially other nuts) in the future and the reaction to be worse.
To end on a positive note, I thought this picture of Mattie today was HILARIOUS!
"Does this make my butt look big?!"


No comments:
Post a Comment