I knew our trip to NYC was off to a great start when we took these photos at the airport.
I mean really. We laughed so hard. Pretty sure everybody around us thought we had lost our minds.
It was our first trip away from the girls and we definitely missed them. As in on Monday I was starting to wonder if we could catch an earlier flight home.... but we survived and it was a great time for Matt & I to focus on just each other. Definitely needed. We met a couple during our layover on our way to NYC and they told us that we should plan a getaway without the kids every year.
Did you read that mom and dad?
No worries, that's not in our plans. :) Anyways, here is a quick recap of the fun we had.
Saturday: We arrived that evening, checked in to our hotel & walked the few blocks down to Times Square. Our very first purchase were I "heart" NY shirts for the girls. Ha!
Sunday: Walked through part of Central Park & then rented bikes to ride around the entire park. Oh.my.word. My thighs were SCREAMING at me. Little kids and older folk were passing my like crazy. Was I a bit embarrassed? Umm.... yes.
That night we went out to dinner at an amazing Italian restaurant for our anniversary. Since New Yorkers eat late, we had the restaurant pretty much to ourselves at 6:30 pm. The food was phenomenal. After every bite, we both looked at each other and said "mmm."
Afterwards, we saw The BlueMan Group.
Monday: We saw some sights including the 9/11 Memorial & rode the Staten Island Ferry to look at the Statue of Liberty. At the ferry station, I had the best pretzel of my life.
Tuesday: Took the subway an hour all the way to Coney Island. We got there before the afternoon rush, so it was nice to enjoy the sunshine and some Nathan's Famous Hotdogs without long lines.
Wednesday: Woke up super early to go to the Today Show. Yes, we were on TV. It was all worth it! Then went to a movie that afternoon and then headed to the harbor to get a spot for fireworks. After we saw the insane amount of people, we turned around, grabbed some pizza & cannolis, then enjoyed the fireworks show on TV with the rest of the country.
Thursday: Shopping day. We walked around and saw some more sights and then saw the Lion King that afternoon. If you ever get the chance, go! Had another amazing Italian dinner that night.
Friday: I took Matt to a spa for a few hours as my anniversary gift to him. It was definitely not what we were expecting. Matt said it best, "I feel like I'm a part of the underground Mafia." We had wonderful massages though!
Overall, it was a great trip. We laughed with each other more than we had in a long time. And even though we were in the city that never sleeps, we often found ourselves back in the hotel room in the evenings to relax. It was quite nice to lounge around and sleep in almost every day.
I'm incredibly blessed by Matt. He supports me in everything and encourages me to be myself. He reminds me to not worry about the details so much, but to live in the moment. He is an amazing daddy to our girls and I love how much they look up to him already. He gives so much and expects nothing in return. He works hard and plays harder. Truly, he is a blessing from God. I love you so much Matt!


No comments:
Post a Comment