Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Our Scariest Parenthood Moment

I'm still uneasy. And still constantly replaying what happened in my mind. Tonight has completely changed me as a mother. I've always loved Ella and have always been so thankful for her, but now my feelings and emotions are multiplied by a thousand.

Tonight, an elder (my boss) and his wife had invited us over for dinner. We were joined by two other couples our age, plus another elder and his wife. It was a great evening to kick back and enjoy each other's company. Ella was on the floor playing with another little boy a couple months older than herself. We aren't sure what happened, but she started crying.

You know how a lot of little kids will start to cry and then hold their breath for a couple of seconds before crying again? Well, this is what she did. She was still in the holding-her-breath-stage as I walked over to pick her up and console her. Little did I know, I wasn't comfort enough because she still couldn't catch her breath. She layed her head on my shoulder, then picked it up again. Right when she lifted her head to look at me, she went ghost white and passed out. Her entire body went limp in my arms and her eyes closed.

Needless to say, I freaked out. And I am still freaking out. Everyone was sitting right there, but I shouted "Somethings happening!" and I know that I had a look of terror on my face. The other elder went to medical school to become an optometrist, so he took her from my arms placed her stomach side down and started patting her back while Matt stuck his finger down her throat. She hadn't chocked on anything, but that sudden commotion got her to take a breath.

After she starting breathing again, I could tell she was scared. I held her close while she whimpered and softly cried. She's fine now and I'm so thankful that we were with a group of amazing Christian people. They knew what to say and how to comfort us and helped calm me down after seeing my daughter in such distress.

Dear God, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! We've been so blessed to have a healthy and happy baby girl. I'm forever grateful that you chose me to be her mom. Thank you for placing us in that specific place at that specific time. Thank you for saving our little girl. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Amen.

3 comments:

Kelly T said...

Oh my goodness that is really scary!! Do you know what happened? A friend of mine has a little boy who has random moments where he stops breathing and eventually will just start again... could it have been something like that? I'm so sorry you had to experience that! Praise God that she's okay!!

Jacob and Amy Hall said...

oh my goodness....that story made me tear up and gave me chills. I am so sorry you had to experience that. Hopefully that was the last time she does that! Thank goodness their was a dr there to help calm your nerves and take care of baby Ella!

Devion said...

So scary when things happen to our kiddos! Glad that she seems to be fine and that it was nothing more serious...that was bad enough! Are you coming to Women Walking W/ God? Hope to see you then if you are!