Friday, July 17, 2015

Dining Room Remix

Our house is pretty awesome. Very spacious, great layout, large lot, and more storage than I can fill. But when we first saw it, I saw wallpaper. Lots and lots of wallpaper. Luckily, my eyes could see past it and we didn't scare away from the many projects ahead of us.

Dining Room Before:



We started removing wallpaper in the kitchen and quickly realized that was a nightmare. Worse than I could ever imagine. Moving to the dining room, we decided to take some chances and leave the wallpaper in place. Definitely a sketchy decision, but our results are fabulous.

The top half of the walls were done first. It was super easy. Step 1: oil based primer (stinky stinky stinky). Step 2: textured by hand. Step 3: paint.



Projects are fun with kids. (Can you catch a hint of sarcasm?) Seriously, things that should take us a couple of days turn into weeks because of our "helpers." 

The bottom half of the walls we used oil based primer,  added the board and batten, and then painted the whole thing multiple times (lightly sanding in between). It definitely took some patience, but we got it done.

After that, it was time to talk table. We wanted a farmhouse table, but wanted something unique. Nothing that was everywhere. And we both wanted it to be handmade. By us. After scouring some images online, Matt designed a table and got to work. He did a fabulous job and I won't quit bragging on him. Ever. We did a weathered, grayish finish. AND Matt even burned our initials into the base of the table. Be still my heart.



Oh, and TODAY.... I seriously found a table that is almost identical to ours and it's original listing price was over $3000, but it was on sale (one of those discount websites) for over $1000. Ours was a FRACTION of their discounted price. *Pat myself on the back.*

I'm having a hard time picking family photos for all of my frames that are displayed in the room, but eventually those will be filled with fun memories! For now, I just stop and pause every time I walk by this room and admire all of our hard work that we put into it. 




One day the rest of the house will match and will feel more like us. One day!

2 comments:

Summer Lashley said...

I absolutely love this. I would love to know all of your paint colors/brands as you go along. Beautiful!

Chellie said...

I love it! Great job.