I am beyond thrilled right now. I've been trying to work with Mattie on and off over the last several months to use the potty. Her interest has ranged from wanting to sit on it all the time to being terrified of it's existence. It's hard having my first child want to start using the potty at the age of 2, for this one to not seem anywhere close.
My only hope was that most kids are potty trained by kindergarten. :)
Anyways, Mattie's sonshine school teachers mentioned that she's been wanting to sit on the potty at school during bathroom break. If I'd like for her to join in, then they recommended sending her in a pull-up instead of a diaper. Today was the day we tried the pull up, and I was secretly hoping that they'd tell me that she was fully potty trained by the time I picked her up after school.
The only good news was that she actually sat on the potty.
After school, we were doing the same old routine. Snack time, relax with a movie time, and then play time. Thankfully, Mattie was in the same room as me when I noticed she was starting to poo. With enthusiasm, I immediately said, "Mattie, let's go to the potty!" She refused. (Insert major meltdown.) So, I changed my tune just a bit and sadly said, "But now your pull-up will be dirty."
She gasped and hightailed it to the bathroom. Needless to say, we didn't make it for the whole thing, but we made it for the finish. Success number 1 in my books.
I put her in panties after that.
She peed in them 15 minutes later.
I tried putting her back in a diaper. (Insert major meltdown.)
She demanded a pull-up. I obliged.
After dinner, I was putting away some clean clothes in Ella's room when Ella comes yelling at me that "MATTIE NEEDS TO USE THE POTTY!" I tell Ella to direct Mattie to the bathroom, so of course, Ella gladly took charge and got little sister situated. I go in quickly to check on the whole thing to find Mattie sitting on the potty and peeing. Her pull-up was slightly wet, so she must've started going in her pull-up and stopped to finish in the potty. (It seems like she doesn't care if her panties get yucky, but her pull-ups are obviously too important for that.)
And if this whole series of events doesn't do it for ya, she used the potty again right before bed with success. I'm thrilled. Seriously so incredibly happy right now.
The best part about the whole thing is seeing how excited she looks when she knows she's had a successful potty trip. She looks at me with the most intent eyes and then they get real big and she smiles from ear to ear and starts dancing as she sits on the potty like such a big girl.
Woohoo for Mattie!
1 comment:
Hooray!! I love the details :) And I cracked up that you were hoping she would be trained at SSS. THAT would be awesome.
Post a Comment