On the night of July 4th, we came home from watching fireworks and somebody placed a glow-in-the-dark bracelet on our barstool. See the mark on the top of the stool in the first picture? The bracelet leaked and took off the varnish and paint. Bummer. After I wiped off the stool, I realized that it made a bigger mess than I intended.... because black paint was still getting on anything that touched it. Double bummer.
I took that as a sign to redo my barstools. First, I sanded.
Then found some stain in the garage.
It was a simple project that turned out great. Then I got to thinking.... I've been wanting to redo the top of my table for quite awhile. So, once Matt got home from golfing, he helped move the table outside onto our back patio.
See these grooves? I hated them. Food got in them daily and it was a major pain to clean.
Matt sanded majority of the table for me. :)
We left some of the black on the table top just for a bit of character.
Then we stained the top with the same color that I did the barstools.
After that, Matt used a clear silicone to fill in those awful grooves.
We had planned to use a poly to seal the tabletop, but after one coat.... we both realized that's not what we were wanting. We quit with that plan and Matt found this product....
It's a resin that we poured on and let dry. We had some issues along the way with this stuff, but in the end, everything worked out nicely!
There is no doubt that it's a shiny tabletop, but I love how polished it makes the whole table look!









No comments:
Post a Comment