We decided it was time to work on Ella's letter recognition skills. Not in a pushy, she has to be able to read by the time she goes to preschool sort of way, but to hopefully build a positive foundation for the future. She's been fascinated with letters for several months now and can spell her name, but when we point at a specific letter, she'll randomly blurt out another one.
So, operation Alphabet Recognition started this week with letter A.
Monday evening we visited Sunflower Market and let her pick out apples to make homemade applesauce. While we were at the store, she pointed out the letter A on boxes and cans. Tuesday morning we got the apples ready to cook and got to enjoy the applesauce that afternoon.
Today I had an art project planned. I drew the letter A and let her cut it out. Then we used her fingerprint to make ants that were marching up and down the "hill."
After she completed her project, I showed her the big A and the little a and told her she could practice while I fixed her snack of "ants on a log." My plan wasn't for her to actually do it. I thought she'd just scribble, but I was impressed with how good she actually did! The ones I drew are the three big As in the upper left corner and the small a that is a couple of inches below it. Everything else was hers!
I'm shocked that she actually ate this snack. But I'm so happy that she'll eat celery.... as long as it has peanut butter on it anyways! Yum!
I picked up some books about ants today at the library and we'll read those later on today and tomorrow. It's been a fun week!

No comments:
Post a Comment