Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"Back" to the Chiropractor

I doubt anybody will be interested in this post besides my mom. So, I dedicate this one to my mom. =)

History

I was diagnosed with slight scoliosis in the 5th grade. It didn't keep me from doing anything. Then, 3 years ago I finally went to the doctor because my left hip/lower back had been bothering me for quite some time (as in a couple years). I took xrays and discovered that my left hip sits differently than my right hip. I also learned that I was losing the curve in my neck.

Fast Forward to Last Week

I had a headache every single day. I also had an awful knot and pain in my neck every single day. Thankfully, the campus that I work had a health & wellness fair going on so I went over and talked to a Chiropractor. They had a machine that they put on my neck to see how hard the muscles were working. Well, the side that was causing my pain was working 333% harder than it should be.

Fast Forward to Yesterday

I had my first office visit and got xrays taken. They confirmed that my hips are different (I really need to ask more questions about that), the curve in my neck is pretty much gone, and then they also discovered that the vertebrae in my neck are twisting. This is what's causing me the pain, the headaches and also has caused my fingers to go numb on a few occasions recently. I'm now scheduled to go for 14 sessions that should relieve my back pain and correct my neck.

1 session down, 13 to go.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Me too!! Like the exact same thing!

Devion said...

It was interesting to me!!! Coming from the largest chiropractic family in the world, I'm ALWAYS interested! I'd be curious as to whom you're seeing down there in OK. The hip issue is VERY common. A LARGE percentage (though I don't know the exact number off hand) have hips that sit differently. This is typically due to a slight difference in length in your legs. Did they give you a shem for your shoe? That is a little rubber thing that raises one leg a bit higher than the other. They probably should have, but I'm not a chiropractor, just the daughter and have worked for them for over 12 years total in my life. :) Hopefully, as they fix the hips, it will fix the neck issue and improve things all together. Have they talked to you at all about lying on your bed (on your back) and hanging your head over the edge of the bed? That can help restore the curvature of your neck. If you would like any more info or a second opinion, let me know. I can talk to my dad or brother and see if they would do the same course of action as your doctor. Sorry for the long post, but we're passionate about chiropractic around here!!! :)

Devion said...

By the way, good pun with the title! :)