Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Diagnosis

Our cupcake is sick.

Last Thursday she woke up with her left eye matted shut and it continued to produce some goo throughout the day. On Friday morning her eye was matted shut again, so I called the doctor to find out what we could do to help our baby girl. After 24 hrs of antibiotics, Ella's eye was back to normal.

However, on Saturday she was quite congested and by Sunday was coughing. I felt helpless. It didn't help that Ella was becoming a difficult eater and wasn't eating as much as normal. This morning both the congestion and coughing were still around, so we visited the doctors office. Her doctor noticed that she is still smiley and generally happy and said that is a very good sign. He checked her ears, throat and chest and pointed out her wheezy breath.....

To make a long story short I'll just list her diagnosis. Yes, I said list for a reason. She is sick with more than one thing. Number 1, she has fluid in both ears, but luckily only one is infected. Number 2, she has mild bronchiolitis. And Number 3, she has RSV (respiratory synctical virus). Her doctor thought it was somewhat odd that she has RSV since it is very rare to see it during the month of May, but he just thinks she may be the last one of the season to get it. I guess somebody has to be the last one.

She will be taking an antibiotic for her ear infection and letting the other two things run their course. The RSV could take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to clear up. Hopefully the sooner rather than the later. Also, if her breathing gets worse and we notice her wheezing more than she currently is, we will take her in for a breathing treatment to see if that helps.

Matt has been great the past couple of days. I've been fighting a sore throat and cough since Sunday as well, so he has been letting me rest as much as possible in the evenings. Lucky for me, the doctor today said that the only thing I have is sinus drainage and got me an antibiotic to get me feeling better in no time. Matt knows how tired I've been from being sick and taking care of a sick baby, so he scheduled for me to get a massage tonight. I'm definitely looking forward to it more than he knows. Thanks Matt, you are amazing!!

1 comment:

Jacob and Amy Hall said...

My goodness.....you poor things! That is no no no fun. Hey something to help with ear infections, start feeding her sitting up and leave her sitting up for 15-30min after feedings so that fluid runs down throat not to ears..if you already know this then forget I said it. I hope that all of you are feeling better and I hope most of all that you enjoyed your message.What a wonderful husband!