Sunday afternoon, Matt got home at 4 pm and we planned an evening of relaxation, Buffalo Wild Wings and the Super Bowl. Once we picked up dinner, we cozied up on the sofa and started watching the big game. I was really tired and couldn't relax as much as I was hoping to, so I decided to skip out on some of the game and take a bath. Within minutes of relaxing in the tub, I heard something, felt something and started to think that my water had broken (approx. 8:30 pm). A few minutes later, I drained the tub and stood around trying to decide what had really happened, when more fluid decided to exit, I was still trying to figure out if I was wetting myself or if Ella was ready to make her entrance. I hollered at Matt and told him what I thought happened, and he definitely didn't believe me at first. In fact, he says that he thought I was just playing a joke on him! We packed our bags and left our house around 9 pm to make our way to the hospital.
On the way to the hospital my contractions started, and luckily they weren't too bothersome at that point. We got checked in through the Emergency room and made it to L&D where a nurse checked me out to see what was going on. She was about to check the fluid and she immediately knew that my water had broken. We got transported up to our birthing suite and by the time we got settled in, my contractions were definitely not comfortable at all. I was dilated at a 2 and was 80% effaced, but my contractions weren't as close together as the nurse had liked, so she started me on some pitocin. Before long, the contractions were close to 2 1/2 minutes apart and I was starting to think about wanting my epidural. At 12:30 am, I was dilated to a 4 and was almost 100% effaced and having horrible contractions. Luckily, I got my epidural at 1 am! It was immediate relief and Matt and I were able to sleep on and off for the next few hours.
At 4:15 am, the nurse came in and I told her that I thought it was time. She checked me out and immediately made a phone call to get my doctor to the hospital. Once the doctor arrived, it took me 3 pushes and Ella had arrived! She made her debut at 4:47 am, weighing in at 6 lbs 9 oz and is 20 inches long. She spent a few hours in the NICU and had to take some oxygen a couple of times, but she is now absolutely perfect and in great shape for arriving 5 wks early!
Here is our first family photo.
4 comments:
Wow I hope my delivery goes as perfectly as your delivery seemed to! My luck I'll be the 18 hour l&d case! You guys look so cute all together! We are praying for Ella and for you guys! Hope you get some much needed rest!
YAY! Congratulations! I am still in shock! I am so thankful that it all went so well and that Ella is a healthy, beautiful baby girl! NOW the fun REALLY begins! Enjoy life as a new mommy!
Congratulations! I had heard "through the grapevine" but I didn't come read as I thought your blog was still private. I'm glad I checked! Ella is so sweet - enjoy your time with her!!
COngratulations you two! Aubrie was exactly the same weight and height! What an exciting time for both of you. She is absolutley beautiful and you look great Maria!
Post a Comment